Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Picky Eater!!

Ok people I have the worlds pickest eater living at my house for the summer. I wanted to have some feed back on what I should do??? The past couple of nights I have been cooking and making things that he likes, only for him to take a few bites and then refuse to eat anything else, because he is full. Some of you might be thinking that I'm an awful cook, but no that is not the case, he didn't even eat the food when we went out to eat. He only eats chicken, corn, green beans, brocolli(sp?), salmon (which we don't eat at our house), bacon, and anything sweet. I'm really not leaving anything out, we won't eat pizza or spagetti. No noodles, no starches (that's right he doesn't eat frenh fries), and he doesn't really eat very much bread. It just causes a fight every night at the dinner table because it drives Justin nuts that he won't eat anything. So here is my question, what do I do?????? Do I cater to his wants or do I so to bad so sad? Maybe I give him so many snacks, I don't think I do, but he knows he will like breakfast I think he is willing to hold out that long. I hate this fight every summer and something has got to change and I just wanted to know if anyone else has any ideas or advice out there? HELP!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Raven said...

I truly don't believe in forcing/making a kid eat(that leads to all kinds of eating disorders/obesity later in life)but I also believe that what's put on the plate, is what's for dinner. My kids tried that at first, ok, just one of them. I do make them take 2 bites and if they still don't truly like it, then they don't have to eat it, but that's all there is for dinner. If they are to get a snack later that night, they can only have a piece of fruit or a veggie! This has always worked for me. Now she always eats her dinner good so she can have a sweet treat! I only allow one sweet treat a day and that's after dinner if they eat well(it doesn't have to be a "clean plate club" but a good portion). I also make sure to have a veggie, protein and fruit. I also only allow one 4oz sweetened beverage(usually a Honest Kids juice pack) per day. The rest of the day its flavored or regular water and milk(0% FAT) at meals.
This is my educated knowledge from all of my texts and professors at school that have helped me get this all down. My kids are extremely healthy and fit! Hope this helps you out. But def don't cater to his demands b/c that's not going to help him out later in life with anything not just food!

Emily said...

raven suggestions sound great-i would add cut back on snacks and drinks. I was reading a toddler book today and it said not to prepare seperate meals for the picky eater, give them a chance to eat the dinner before them, and if they don't want it, they don't get ANYTHING else until breakfast. the book said half a cup of water with dinner until they finish dinner so they don't fill up on water. i'm sure this is very hard for you but you will make it though!!

Mary said...

Okay so I don't know Raven, but jeez I'm not willing to have that much discussion about food at my house. I do agree with her that dinner is dinner. No fight needed. Eat it or wait. I try to be kind of considerate, always one food at each meal they might like, but besides that, too bad.